Beautiful weather in Eastern Washington has called me outdoors into the vegetable garden and fairy tree.
I added a few more “fairy doors” to the tree and have planted some low growing ground covers around the tree trunk. The old sycamore tree has such great places to place doors and windows!
I contemplated ways to get light into the windows at night. I am using glow-in-the dark polymer clay in the window panes. I am not sure how long the glow effect will last, but hoping at least a few years.
My granddaughters Margo (age 3.5) and Cora (2.5) are still frustrated the fairies won’t open their doors. Margo says she has seen them though. Helen, age 5, isn’t so sure. She is becoming skeptical. She lost her first two teeth recently and the tooth fairy paid up. I asked her why she believed in the tooth fairy, but not my fairies. I didn’t get a good answer lol. “Because” is not an answer. Maybe if she sees lights on in their windows, it will make her wonder if they inhabit my tree.
Helen did come out and constructed a beautiful fairy garden of her own. She is fascinated by the concept of a tiny world and loves the details in my fairy garden. I guess that is really what it is all about.
I used a small plastic test tube and a water bottle top to make this water dispenser for the doll bakery. The picture to the left/bottom was my inspiration.
While it looks okay from a distance, I am not really that happy with it. The plastic was a real pain to work with – the glue just wouldn’t hold, and the paint wouldn’t stick. I wound up using copper colored finger nail polish rather than paint. The jar isn’t as clear as I would like, and then there was the matter of using a heat gun to get rid of bubble in the resin. It wasn’t very effective because the plastic would melt if I held the gun too long, so the “water” is full of tiny bubbles. I may look for something I can use made from glass and consider this a “prototype”. I doubt it will hold up to much play, which is the purpose.
The spout was made from an old piece of jewelry that was in my stash. Once I glued it on the bottle, I painted it with copper colored nail polish.
When I was making a lemon cake from polymer clay, I made my first cane for the lemon slices. Not understanding how small the slices would be, I wound up with a really long cane! I will have lemon slices for many years! They did come in handy for this project.
Before I actually start the building for the mini bakery/cafe. I made pastries and bread, then a cabinet to put them in. A sort of inspiration piece to build the room around.
I used cardboard “plywood” to construct the main frame of the cabinet. The mirror in the back is stick on plastic mirror that I had left over from making kaleidoscopes with my granddaughters.
I have lots of small pieces of plexiglass left over from framing projects when I worked as a watercolor painter. I never could throw them away, figuring they would come in handy some day. Well they did! I wanted a transparent top, shelf and doors (that open), so I used them here.
When my green house was constructed, I used polycarbonate panels on the end walls. That is another situation in which I could not throw away scraps. I needed something to put on the plexiglass top to slide the cabinet doors on. I used a section from one of the polycarbonate panels to form the slides. I was hoping the glue would not look messy on the other side, but it did. A simple solution was to use foil tape along the edge to cover it (also left over from the green house project).
When I finished the cabinet, I felt it looked too modern for the bakery I want to build. In order to give it more character and charm, I added a few details and legs. It will fit into the space much better now!